Matthew 6:33

"Seek first the Kingdom of Heaven, and all else shall be added unto you."

Monday, April 6, 2009

Preparing for Easter

 


 
Posted by Picasa


These pictures were taken by Dan at the Botanical Gardens this Saturday after we had “real” family pictures taken by photographer Lauren Webber (check out her blog to see some of her pics and read about her heart for missions www.orphanandwidowministries.blogspot.com). As I was posting these pics I reflected on how Easter can have many mixed emotions. Along with the Easter bunny and egg hunts (fun concepts, but have nothing to do with what Easter is all about), Easter is also usually represented with bright colors, pretty flowers, and happy times. And although there is nothing wrong with that I often wonder why do we just skip over Good Friday and all the pain and suffering that occurred on this day; and why do we call it “Good” Friday anyways. I know I need to spend more intentional time reflecting on both the horrific death Jesus died, and even more importantly why He had to die (for my wretched sin). However, I ultimately think that Easter should continue to be seen as a time of celebration. For what better picture of victory can ever be displayed?

-Jesus was VICTORIOUS in both His death and His resurrection.
-As my teacher in our community mentioned, victory is not declared when one starts something, but when one finishes what they set out to do. And Jesus accomplished EVERYTHING He was sent to do. John 17:4I have brought you glory on earth by completing the work you gave me to do.”
- Jesus was not forced into death; He willingly gave up His life and His spirit. He could have stopped the torture at anytime but he stayed strong and endured it to the end. For He knew what He was sent to do. John 10:17-18 The reason my Father loves me is that I lay down my life-only to take it up again. No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. This command I received from my Father.” Luke 23:46 Jesus called out with a loud voice, “Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.” (notice that after all the torture and pain Jesus still had the strength to call out in a LOUD voice)
-Moments before He died Jesus did not claim “I am finished”, but instead “It is finished.” (John 19:30)
-In His horrific yet victorious death Jesus bore all of the sins of all people past, present and future who believe and trust in Him. Therefore, allowing us access to God while we are here on earth, and eternal life with God in Heaven. Hebrews 10:10 And by that will, we have been made holy through the sacrifice of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” 1 Corinthians 15: 57 But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”-Jesus conquered death by rising from the dead. 1 Corinthians 15:54 “Death has been swallowed up in victory.” Rev 1:17-18 Do not be afraid. I am the First and the Last. I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive forever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.” How wonderful it is to worship a Living and Active God, not a fallen idol or a dead ruler.
-Many of the specific events of Jesus’ death and resurrection are exact fulfillment's of Old Testament Scriptures (to name a few Jn 19:36, Ps 22:18, Ex 12:46, Zech 12:10).
-We can read of how victorious Jesus was in His death, and now that He has risen from the dead we know we have a Living King to help us in our present day struggles, yet we also know the end of the story and what a glorious future we have. Revelation 21:1-7 “Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.” He who was seated on the throne said, “ I am making everything new!” Then he said, “ Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.” He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.”

I pray that we will all celebrate our Victorious Savior and King this Easter season and continue to turn to Him throughout the year. For He sits at the Right Hand of the Father interceding for us all. Hebrews 7:24-25 But because Jesus lives forever, He has a permanent priesthood. Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them"

1 comment:

AdriG said...

What a beautiful Easter reflection! Hope you all had a great Easter weekend. It rained a lot here this morning - so we got dressed had a nice home cooked breakfast and watched the service on TV. We also reflected on the meaning of Easter and spent the rest of the day together as a family - thanking God for all that he has done for us - specially the gift of salvation through His son Jesus. Love you guys - can't wait to see the Easter pictures!