As Christmas gets closer I wonder if I have prepared my heart and my family properly, or enough. I actually didn’t have a lot of stress with shopping this year simply because I did a lot on-line or earlier in the fall. But nonetheless we have stayed busy and although I always have good intentions to have a meaningful “Advent” season it usually gets filled with too much stuff. I do hope to in the upcoming years have us all memorize the Christmas story from Scripture but for now what has been the most meaningful things to us and the boys have been our Advent wreath we made at church, and some good Christmas books I have gotten from the library or as gifts. The Advent wreath didn’t start out real meaningful because the boys hardly listened to the meaning of each candle. But when fire (the lighter) was involved they quickly perked up. At our church they turned all the lights off and lit the candles and sang Silent Night. I was planning on lighting a candle just on Sundays but they insist we do it every night. This has led to quiet beginnings of each dinner because they want all lights off, they take turns holding the candle and we all sing Silent Night all the way through before they blow out the candle. This has also allowed me to tell the meaning of the candle several times each week(so maybe at least one time it will sink in). The books we have liked are: “The legend of the Candy Cane”, “Christmas Baby”, “My Birthday, Jesus’ Birthday”, and “The Bernstein Bears…The joy of Giving”.
Other Meaningful things we have done is an advent sticker calendar and go to the walk through Nativity at Briarwood Church
No comments:
Post a Comment